I'm just going to start off by mentioning that I watched this under the pretense that it was the 1987 anime. I had no idea this thing even existed up until yesterday. For some reason, this Hong Kong live action version of the anime is set to the 1997 handover of Hong Kong to China. This doesn't really have anything to do with the plot, so I guess it is was done to draw some crude parallels between the threat of invading demons and the PRC. Hong Kong is flooded with a new demon drug called "happiness" and two buddies from the "anti-monster squad" has to close down the operation. In-between making demons explode, we find cops sobbing about how demon-ancestry is getting in the way of being promoted in the corps and an awkward human-demon love story. Wicked City features a bunch of odd stuff really - dudes fighting clocks, people banging pinball-machines, monsters riding planes 9/11-style and some ludicrous fights towards the end. The second half is pretty entertaining, it could probably work for a movie night. Apparently produced by Tsui Hark.

No comments:
Post a Comment