Whoa, Simon Yam and Anthony Wong anno 1994, both starring in the same ghost romp! How could Awakening possibly be bad? Actually, it sort of is. Awakening is all over the place and basically nothing makes any sense, seeing as the explanations are all subbed in nonsense-English. I guess it sort of "delivers", but its hard to pay attention as you're basically watching random segments with cryptic and unintelligible connections to each other. At its core, Awakening is a movie about how Yam screws up everything for Wong's successful feng shui business. I'm not going explain this in detail, but the plot involves past lives, horses, hairy babies and sex changes. Anthony Wong have also refined cheating on his wife into a black art and calls it "Double Practice". I sort of tapped out during the last 30 minutes and gave up on trying to make sense of it all. Therefore I'm not even going to make any attempt of explaining what happened in the end, but it included crosses, crossdressing, wonky sound effects and shouting brides from hell. I think I read somewhere that this flick supposedly was quite "coherent", they must've been either native speakers or mad though, because "coherent" is the last word I'd use to describe Awakening. There are laughs to be had, but in the end its basically a jumbled mess of a film about magical redecorating about 45 minutes too long.

No comments:
Post a Comment