I've only seen one Gariazzo flick before, when I saw his quite acceptable poliziotteschi The Bloody Hands of the Law. This film right here has an equally rad title, but I honestly can't remember how I figured this was something I needed to see. It is a prime example from the school of ultra-low budget Italian scifi. A googly-eyed photographer ends up snapping a couple of photos of aliens by mistake, and they begin abducting people in an attempt to recover his negatives (I saw an IMDb user liken this to Antonioni's Blowup!). The aliens looks amazing (in their glitter-overalls) and the alien POV-shots are pretty cool. However, rather than focusing on the aliens (the only scifi element of the story), Gariazzo spends most of the film elaborating on a dull political conspiracy. A conspiracy where Robert Hoffman accuses everyone of being spies, before continuing to slap them around. Eyes Behind the Stars is very silly, dumb and sleep-inducing. Somehow, I ended up liking this thing, after some text at the end stated that it was "sort of based on facts". Its a gloriously amateurish little thing. In addition this flick has some incredibly misleading VHS covers (a German one features a girls head trapped inside a wasp).

No comments:
Post a Comment